Thursday 17 February 2011

Midnight in Nottingham

It is the last push before our first show. We are in Nottingham. Our temporary homes are in The Meadows and at Dance4 in Hockley and in Mapperley Park where we're staying. It is strange and hard to embed yourself in a city you barely know. And yet it has a certain kind of wonder too. Knowing that I am here to meet with strangers makes me behave a certain way - open, willing to try new things, friendly, unafraid. It's a funny way of viewing a city - walking around wondering who might share the stage with you in a few weeks - might it be the waiter at that place where we had dinner, or the girl who has adopted us as her mates at the library, the woman with the big dog, or the super-friendly sandwich shop owners?

And sometimes, just occasionally, I lose hope. I wonder whether there's any point at all. Whether it really will change. Whether this tiny effort can shift any of the patterns that are so embedded in us. Whether we're doing something worthwhile.

But then there are the people. All of you who make it possible. The people we meet, and the people we've met. And it always comes back to the fact that having the right people around makes anything possible. It reminds me of something a dear friend once emailed me after coming back from a big conference about social change:

what I find myself asking me, again and again is, where to go from here?
and then I find myself asking, yet again and again, not where but who?

And that is precisely why making a different shaped echo of the world just for a moment can shift something. Making something possible that wasn't there before. Whether that's giving someone a flower that will open up in their home, or making a touring show that really asks us to live in each place and look its people in the eye, or asking strangers to come together for one night and have faith in something.

And here we are, nine days away from our first Glorious gathering on the stage of the Nottingham Arts Theatre. Nine days away from our crazy and ambitious fundraising deadline. And thank you - not because you never give up, but because you carry on regardless. And therefore I know we can do it.

Join Rajni and the Glorious team at www.indiegogo.com/glorious until 26 February.

No comments:

Post a Comment